Gun $ale$ expen$ive

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Gun $ale$ expen$ive

Post by ruger22 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:52 pm

I have my two black Beretta Bobcats listed on three free sites for local sale. I have considered going for national sale, and did some research.

I can list them on gunbroker for about $6 each if sold, or I can leave them on the free sites, for FFL transfer sale. Only overnight FedEx or UPS is allowed with handguns. Shipping to CA from VA was about $66. To TX was $50.

Throw in the dealer's fee for accepting the gun, and that's getting into money. I can't imagine anyone doing that except for a high-end handgun, or the extremely rare gun of his dreams....... :(
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:23 pm

My FFL will ship Postal Priority Mail for a flat $20 plus the cost of actual postage. My last pistol shipped insured was less than $20(+ his $20). Of course my FFL won't ship to CA at all so I have to disclaim in my ad. Makes me sad as I do want to support any gun owners who still live in CA. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:26 am

Still not sure why you aren't walking through your local show with a "Beretta Bobcats for sale, $200 each" sign on your back.

I might consider it were you in my area/state, mouseguns are fun, and inexpensive ones are more fun for some reason.

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:05 pm

bigfatdave wrote:Still not sure why you aren't walking through your local show with a "Beretta Bobcats for sale, $200 each" sign on your back.
Maybe it's my imagination. There's been so much attention on VA's "gunshow loophole" I feel like there's too much scrutiny. I'd make some tiny mistake, and find out my "buyer" was an ATF guy.

Our gunshow attendees are mostly Billy Bobs or Tactical Nerds (think they gotta have camo boxers on to pee straight), anyway. It's just not my environment.

Strolling around with that sign would be all I'd do. For me, gunshows are a money gouging waste of time.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:27 pm

Best place to sell them is at a gun show. I wouldn't worry about the infamous gun show loophole and celebrate the fact that Virginia allows sales by private individuals. You could come on down to Richmond where it's "William Roberts" in finer sets of camo boxers. :lol:

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:29 pm

greener wrote:You could come on down to Richmond where it's "William Roberts" in finer sets of camo boxers. :lol:
:lol: ....Classy......Here the Billy Bobs all wear briefs. I know I'm not offending anyone here. We've all seen them. no socks, no shave, empty rifle rack in the rusty pick-up with four different tires on it, and 500 empty beer cans in the bed. At least some can shoot.

And the Tactical Nerd, as I call them. Show up at a range, "tactical" head to toe. Clothes, belt, holster, boots. Strutting like a rooster, hoping everyone is impressed. Can only hit his tactical style, mil-spec target at the exact right distance, which he paces off in march step.

There is a show listed for late October. That's s month away, and I'll consider it.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

greener

Post by greener » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:18 pm

I've seen both types. We get the mountain man look also. I've never paid that much attention to how they dress.

When I was in grad school, I had two refrigerators, one for beer. Actually, for a while I had three.

When I look at the tactical types I recall my BDU's with a high starch, Corcoran field boots done to a high shine. Creases sharp. I was the perfect Larry Lunchbucket staff officer.

I did my best to name bgreenea3 "William Robert" but his mother was quicker than I.

As long as the money is green, doesn't matter how they look.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:30 pm

greener wrote:
As long as the money is green, doesn't matter how they look.
How true, nothing more than that is required.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:36 pm

There is no such thing as a gun-show loophole, citizens can sell whatever they want to other citizens, be it weapons, used lumber, dirty panties, vehicles, or garden produce.

And this is your chance to do some gouging, start high and negotiate down, everyone likes mouseguns and an honest seller.

Xavier's blog (nurse with a gun) has a good bill of sale form you could use if so inclined, or you could only sell to VA CC permit holders, or you could just trust your fellow citizens the way they're trusting you to not sell them a stolen weapon or a lemon.

If they haven't moved by the show, that's what I would do if I had to off-load a gun. But what do I know? I'm on the other side of those sales most often, I've only parted with one gun in a in-family trade.

greener

Post by greener » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:10 am

No gun show loophole? But I keep hearing about them on the news, so there must be one. They seem to be pretty rare because I've tried to buy one at the gun shows and the dealers tell me they just sold their last one. :lol:

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:29 am

greener wrote:No gun show loophole? But I keep hearing about them on the news, so there must be one. They seem to be pretty rare because I've tried to buy one at the gun shows and the dealers tell me they just sold their last one. :lol:
Why do you want a loophole? seems like they would be easily lost.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 am

Gun Shows frost them completely over, and they will continue to work to wards a ban state by state. We still love G Shows in Texas. Our congressperson shiela jackson lee (Houston) who was famous(15 minutes) for when running late for a flight from DC to Houston called and demanded that the airline hold the flight due to her importance(they did not), sent some of her staff to a Houston GS to attempt to make illegal gun buys. The Dealers notified Houston PD and SJL had to do some fast cleanup on aisle 6. :roll: Anyway taking them to a GSs a good plan as we all are curious and looking for a deal, and have cash. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association