Interesting SD situation

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:48 pm

We do seem to hear more about "home invasion" type crime and I'm convinced that after the door is breached things are very much in doubt and odds are against the non criminal homeowner. I believe that most of us will be OK if we know about a threat before it becomes one. That said, I know about intrusions on my property long before they are at my entrance points night and day. My good wife has her role and I have mine, and of course the real KAZ has his LOL.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 pm

If there was some way I could move my daughter to our side of the house I would change my plan. Sadly there is noway. We have already loss one of our family members to savage slim ball and I would rather die than let it happen to another one.

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:11 am

About 8 years ago, I took a 13 week work assignment to Anaheim, CA. About 20 blocks from Disneyland. Just outside the Disney complex, is one of the rougher parts of L.A. (no way to tell when you leave Anaheim, and enter L.A. proper). I noticed that ALL the houses around there had Iron or steel bar grills BOLTED to every window and door. The entry doors had the framework bolted to the house, and that door was separate from the house door. (windows too) It's necessary there. It may become more necessaary in other towns. Literally, the lives and property of those homeowners depend on those bars.
Ain't never going back to that part of the country. :(

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:36 am

Fortunately I've never lived, or been aware of living, in a place that I thought I needed bars on windows and doors. I've had one night time burglary that I thought was one of the kids up, when I yelled "get back in bed" the perp departed.

I've seen places with houses that have barred windows and doors and other safety features like Washington, DC, and Miami. I've done my best not to live in those kind of places.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:38 am

Baldy wrote:If there was some way I could move my daughter to our side of the house I would change my plan. Sadly there is noway. We have already loss one of our family members to savage slim ball and I would rather die than let it happen to another one.
Sorry for the loss. Most of us only read about those things. You certainly have a different perspective.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:41 am

greener wrote:
I've seen places with houses that have barred windows and doors and other safety features like Washington, DC, and Miami. I've done my best not to live in those kind of places.
Me too. Just like some of the guys at the club with a CPL say, well I only carry it when I go yo the bad part of town. Myself I make an effort to not go ther but never do leave home without one on my person and always have a spare in my car even though I do not plan on having a flat tire.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

greener

Post by greener » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:55 am

If I thought I needed a firearm I'd do my best not to go there or live there. Still, it's best to be prepared for the one time you could be wrong.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:02 pm

The bad people come to the good paerts of town because thas where all the good stuff to take is :shock:

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:02 pm

greener wrote:If I thought I needed a firearm I'd do my best not to go there or live there. Still, it's best to be prepared for the one time you could be wrong.
We also shy away from the bad side of town as much as possible. Of a night I would never leave the house. Everything out there they can have and I will let the police take care of it. I am only going to defend the inside of the house. I can replace the old truck, trailer, or anything else out there, but life and limb is a different matter.