Where do old guns go to die?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Where do old guns go to die?

Post by ruger22 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:40 pm

When you look at the production numbers for various guns in books and other sources, you realize there have been a gazillion firearms made in the last century. Many models have been produced in the tens of thousands. If they were all still around there would be bushels of guns for every person.

I guess many end up as parts in a gunsmith's back room, or just thrown away, hopefully in pieces in separate places.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

99/100
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by 99/100 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:14 pm

and don't forget the liberal powered gun turn ins that have destroyed thousands.

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:29 pm

and don't forget the liberal powered gun turn ins that have destroyed thousands.
Detroit just had that program going on today. I heard $100/hg to turn them in, no questions asked. I'm sure the monies received by the "good" folks turning them in will be used in "honorable" methods !
hakaman

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Hakaman wrote:
Detroit just had that program going on today. I heard $100/hg to turn them in, no questions asked.
Wouldn't be surprised if they're hauled over the state line and sold for good prices..........Can you imagine some of what gets turned in? Bound to be some nice ones worth way over a C-note.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:56 pm

ruger22 wrote:
Hakaman wrote:
Detroit just had that program going on today. I heard $100/hg to turn them in, no questions asked.
Wouldn't be surprised if they're hauled over the state line and sold for good prices..........Can you imagine some of what gets turned in? Bound to be some nice ones worth way over a C-note.
unfortunately they melt them down...... :(

my brother in law wanted to sit down the road and offer $125 per gun a few years back.....he never did but I thought it was a great idea :!:

Medicine Hat
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Medicine Hat » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:29 pm

I have to wonder how many of the "melt downs" result in destruction of criminal evidence.
And, how many are stolen guns that will never get back to the rightful owner. Just wondering. :( :)usa

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:47 pm

It's just a liberal feel good policy, that doesn't reduse crime by .01% if that much. :evil:

greener

Re: Where do old guns go to die?

Post by greener » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:50 am

ruger22 wrote:When you look at the production numbers for various guns in books and other sources, you realize there have been a gazillion firearms made in the last century. Many models have been produced in the tens of thousands. If they were all still around there would be bushels of guns for every person.

I guess many end up as parts in a gunsmith's back room, or just thrown away, hopefully in pieces in separate places.
My son-in-law has them. In gun safes. In a garage. In the Detroit burbs. :lol:

Actually, a pretty interesting question. In a lot of places, you just can't give the gun away, you have to go through a licensed dealer or perhaps the police to be legal. Makes you wonder how many old, unwanted firearms end up in the garbage.

piasashooter
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by piasashooter » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:14 am

One of my friends works at a steel mill, he said he has seen pick-up trucks driven by police officers with the beds of the trucks full of firearms there to be melted down.His supervisor said that they are all confiscated weapons from criminals.My friend said on all the rifles and shotguns the barrels were bent so I guess the guns are in operable before they get there. It's a shame a lot of good guns get destroyed, wish those guns could some how go to auction or be saved in some way.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:25 am

All the guns bought back get checked for stolen and ballistically for use in crimes before they get destroyed...

as for confiscated guns some get destroyed, some get sold to dealers, and some get issued out for departmental use depending on why they were confiscated. varies from state to state though

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:46 am

Saw something on the news lately where the Saginaw County Sherri-ff Department is trying to get s now law through so they can sell something like 700 guns they have in storage and put the money to use to fight crime. They already have confiscated a medication dealers Mustang and painted it up fpr use as an official vehicle for the Sheriff.

[img][img]http://lh5.ggpht.com/_PxHFTWA0o_c/TPOwD ... _large.jpg[/img]
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:48 pm

I like that patrol car.... my employer recently siezed a early 70's Nova that the Lt was talking about setting up for a PR (dare/Parade) car. he was trying to get someone to donate a paint job and one of our guys has some vintage overheads he was going to pitch in.

then there's the 80 something camaro that we took in forfieture that the dept ended up giving to one of the Sgts who took a bunch of the high school kids in the Vocational program and built a drag car that they run at the local track. it painted to look just like our squad cars with a light bar and all.