Hearing & eye protection

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Georgezilla
Master contributor
Master contributor

Hearing & eye protection

Post by Georgezilla » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:08 pm

I am curious what hearing and eye protection you guys have had good experiences with.

As far as eye protection goes, it didn't take me long to find something I like. I have had a very positive experience with ESS (Eye Safety Systems) and I use their ICE series glasses ( http://www.esseyepro.com/ICE-2X_146_detail.html ). I like them because they are light, offer good side protection, and (like most do) provide UVA/UVB protection. Another thing I like about these glasses is the quality seems on par with many high-end brands, yet they are less expensive.

For ear protection, I didn't find a set I liked so easy. I wear plugs and muffs at the range. Decent earplugs were easy to find, but finding a set of earmuffs I like was difficult. Most of the brands I tried were very uncomfortable and didn't seem to block out all the noise they claimed to. After trying several different bands brands and styles I settled on the Pro Ears Ultra 28 ( http://www.proears.com/store/p/156-Pro- ... a-28-.aspx ). The downsides I have found about these muffs is that the top band that goes over your head is plastic and is potentially more prone to breakage, and they are a bit pricey for passive muffs; however, in this case I think you get what you pay for.

P.S. I am not affiliated with either of the above companies, just sharing my positive experiences.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:24 pm

I have been using the Pro Ears Ultra for over a year now and have been very pleased with them. I still have to wear ear plugs too when I shoot at the indoor range.

As far as glasses, I wear bi-focal RX Safety Glasses Transition Lens. I have switched to dot scopes on my MKIII. Shooting with aging eyes is a challenge, good thing I can't see the sights clearly. :)
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:37 am

I have had ringing (tinnitus) in my ears since I was born. I still wear muffs and plugs when shooting. My glasses are special script safety glass. I am trying hard to keep my hearing and eyes intact. What little I got left anyways. :)

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:09 am

I'm now using Howard Leight LOF folding muffs. Very low profile, light, and sturdy. They're comfortable (except in heat when no muff is), and not in the way. Fold up saves room in the range bag.

I've got two pair, and extra cushions for both.

They're only rated 23dB reduction, but I've had shooters next to me with the .50 AE Desert Eagle and did fine. My range is outdoor, so indoors may be another story.

I still keep a couple pairs of $3 plugs in my bag, just in case. One trip I forgot the muffs and the plugs saved the day.

No eye protection beyond my everyday eyeglasses, plastic lenses.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

greener

Post by greener » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:06 pm

If they are shooting big loud stuff close buy, use the ear plugs. Especially, if there is any structure that can reflect the sound.

I've had tinnitus for 35 or so years. Came from listening for primers to fire on cannons that had "misfired." Usually, the primer fired and so did the cannon on the next try. Having your ears at a constant ring/hiss is no fun.

I have some electronic muffs that seem to work pretty well. They allow me to hear but block out noises above 85 dba.

If you don't normally wear glasses, wear some form of safety glasses. The amber lens glasses seem to make the targets clearer for me (but I have to put them on over normal glasses and don't use them much). I'd leave the glasses on near the firing line. One of my daughters ended up having eye surgery, she was 5' right and ~8' behind her husband firing a revolver and didn't have her glasses on.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:24 pm

I wear double hearing protection, as I've mentioned before I take no chances with my hearing. My plugs are the hand molded kind and the ear muffs are just general application sound suppressors; I have a few different kinds. I own the muffs with audio amplification but I do not wear them. I keep those for folks I take out shooting so they can better hear my instructions. I wear corrective impact resistant lenses on the firing line.

Here's a little secret for those of you who wear corrective lenses; ear muffs stabilize your glasses and keep the image movement free. What happens when you shake your glasses on your face? Everything moves. When shooting high power rifle, or pistol for that matter, your aiming point must remain consistent. If the image you see is moving then your aim will be off too.

R,
Bullseye

Python
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Python » Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:39 pm

I wear Decot high and wide prescription safety glasses.
They have saved my eyes more than once on the skeet field from the stray shot shell bb's and those incoming clay target pieces.

I have those custom made ear plugs where they inject the stuff in your ears and let harden.
Also use Pro Ears ultra 33 muffs with the ear plugs.

Clarence
Master indoor and out
Distinguished Revolver Badge #99
EIC Service Pistol = 30 pts.(need a hard leg)
10z n Xs

bigfatdave
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bigfatdave » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:41 pm

I wear prescription glasses, because of work my everyday glasses are Z87 compliant if I add side-shields. I also have a seriously over-engineered set of prescription goggles from Wiley-X with transition lenses (get dark when exposed to UV light) that I use frequently for shooting, they're nice in that I get no tint indoors and a light tint in the sunlight, plus they have a really wide field of view since they're actually more along the lines of motorcycle safety glasses.
They've taken some hits from brass and once from a mis-timed revolver (that's my best guess at what could cause projectiles to emit from the side of that gun, anyway) ... some of those could have done real damage, and at least one wouldn't have been caught by my everyday glasses.
I frequently will wear a cap with a bill over the eyes also, to protect against crap coming downwards that could be caught behind glasses for extra painful fun.

Hearing protection is Com-Fit silicone plugs (the kind with flanges on a somewhat stiff post) with muffs over top if I'm indoors or experiencing any discomfort (thanks, random old guy ... swapping from a .22lr plinking pistol to .44mag with no warning at all on a tiny indoor rental range! SURPRISE!)
I have a jar of foamies in the car and more scattered in all our shooting gear, one screwed up range trip because of forgotten hearing protection was enough.

DeerSpy
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by DeerSpy » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:36 pm

I use the foam plugs wit Howard Leight muffs and wear prescription safety glasses, think I will start wearing ball cap when shooting 45acp

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:31 am

I have shot in our service rifle league this year. It sure has been a humbling experience,
as my eyes and fitness are not as good as they used to be. The problem
with shooting an AR-15 is that you can not wear "muffs" while shooting due
the the physical interference they cause. The best answer I have for this is
the "cylinder type" ear plugs. They do a good job, but I sure wish I could fit
some muffs on for added protection. Anybody else have the same issue
while shooting rifle ?
thanks, haka

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 am

My ear muffs have two different sides to the ear cuffs. One end of the cup is narrower so I spin them around and that's the side I have facing the stock. I get the clearance I need to cozy up to the rifle and get my "spot weld".

R,
Bullseye

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:24 am

This is a great thread. It is sad to see folks who don't wear hearing protection and believe that since it doesn't cause instant hearing loss they are getting by. Later, as we all know the price will have to be paid. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bgreenea3
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by bgreenea3 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:29 am

I always wear muffs and safty glasses, generic Silencio muffs and any decent glasses will do. I alway wear the glasses when running power tools, ever sinxce I had to get a metal sliver taken out of my eye when i was 18. the glasses saved my eyes when I had a case failure shooting dad's 1911 a few weeks back. I have shot without hearing protection, and IT IS LOUD :shock: .... we carry ported glock 40's where i work and they are super loud when putting down an injured animal, somehow I always forget my extra muff that i keep in my car :roll: .....

greener

Post by greener » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:02 pm

I carry packs of the foam ear plugs. 29 NRR, so pretty good. Have them in the car in case I go into a noisy area or shooting. I "always" carry muff's with me when I go shooting, but there is always a first time.

bgreenea3 wrote: I have shot without hearing protection, and IT IS LOUD :shock: .... we carry ported glock 40's where i work and they are super loud when putting down an injured animal, somehow I always forget my extra muff that i keep in my car :roll: .....
If you want to avoid noise, there is always the trick an IN State Trooper used. Didn't want to disturb folks putting an injured dog down in a shopping center parking lot by shooting it. So he backed over the dog with his car. Several times because the first couple didn't work. I heard that the Indiana State Police switchboard lit up like a Christmas tree.

It would seem that a .22 would be better for this sort of thing. less noise.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:33 pm

I've heard that some departments have suppressed 10/22s called "Hush Puppies" for just such deep in a night quite use. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association