GunVault Nano Vault ?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

GunVault Nano Vault ?

Post by ruger22 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am

I just bought one off eBay so I'll have some security for leaving a pistol in my car. I got the slightly larger NV200 model. I should have it in a few days.

I started to go with one of those exomesh security bags because they are larger, but the cloth and plastic parts didn't impress me as secure, even with the steel mesh.

Anybody have a Nano Vault, and know something the advertising doesn't offer? I'm wondering how easy I can get duplicate keys. Some online reviews say the foam stinks but washes out. Hope mine doesn't.
* 2 Ruger Bearcat stainless, w/ EWK ejector housings & Wolff springs
* Ruger SP-101 .22LR, w/ Wolff springs
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP
* S&W 15-22 Sport (.22LR AR)
* 2 Ruger SR22 .22LR pistols

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by ruger22 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:08 pm

Got it today, and no smell. I'd be happier if the cable was as thick as my arm..... :lol: ....
Looks like it would survive well enough in a typical smash and grab like usually happens with cars. Has enough room for two Bobcats with two loose mags. Would be handy on trips, for other things.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Let us know how you like it after you have used it for awhile. I have seen them on the web but never in person. :)

ruger22
Master contributor
Master contributor

Key making info, full description

Post by ruger22 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:12 pm

I had no trouble getting keys made. The local shop used an Ilco 1611 key blank. I'll give a little review.

This NV-200 model is 9.5 X 6.5 X 1.75", outside. And the locking post takes a 3/4 X 2" spot at one end. One online reviewer said his standard 1911 just barely fit.

Says it is 21 gauge steel, I checked, and that is .034". Has a well done black crinkle paint finish. There are extra strips of steel spot welded inside both long sides of the bottom, that overlap the seam when the lid is closed. The cable slot is in this double thick area, a plus. The locking post has three spot welds onto the case, and the hinge has four. More welds would inspire confidence, but they are large solid spots, at least. There are two 1/8" holes drilled in opposing corners for screw mounting.

The foam is about medium firm and smooth, charcoal color, half inch thick for both sheets.

The steel cable is 3 feet long and 1/8" thick, with a black plastic coating. The swaged sleeves are heavy and tight on the cable. The larger looped end goes around the post inside the box that the lock also hooks to. I can loop the cable around my car seat leg twice before hooking it inside the box, but that leaves too little slack and it would be awkward to reach the box quickly.

Bolt cutters would probably beat the cable pretty quickly. A good pry bar would beat the box. Hopefully either would take more time than the average car burglar would want to spend, or he would just not have the tools. I read two reviews on various websites where people's NanoVaults were damaged, but saved their guns. In another review, the car was trashed, but the Nano under the seat was overlooked.

This, to me, is for being away from the car for a short time in an area with some light and frequent traffic. It's the best option, short of using one the heavier, expensive, bolt down lockers for cars. For $30, I'm satisfied with it.
* 2 NAA Guardian .32ACP
* 3 Zastava M70 .32ACP