You Can Only Have One

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:24 pm

I did consider my Marlin 1894 in .44 magnum too.

arizona-hermit
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Re: four barrels

Post by arizona-hermit » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:13 am

Pete D. wrote:
I would have to choose a German four-barrel rifle.
Those four barreled weapons are called "Vierlings". The only picture that I have seen of one showed a SXS 12 ga. with a rifle barrel below the SXS barrel where the under rib would be and a second, larger bore, rifle barrel below that.
I have seen schematic illustrations of other configurations - O/Us with a rifle barrel on each side and SXSs with the rifled barrels above and below.

Pete
Very True Pete,

In my many years in Germany, I was blessed to see and shoot many 3, 4, 5, and even one 6 barrel custom long gun. The 6 barrel was so heavy you had to use a shooting staff or bench rest to shoot it properly.

Many modern 'custom' long-range competition rifles are 75 lbs plus... this monster was over 130 lbs. All 6 barrels were rifle barrels, no shotgun. Truly an amazing piece of engineering.

Drillings (3 bbl) and Vierlings (4 bbl) are fairly common there, the 5 and 6 are (apparently) custom only jobs.
But by the grace of God I am what I am, and His grace toward me did not prove vain. [1 COR 15:10a - NASB]

greener

Post by greener » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:51 pm

Guns at that weight would be tough to haul through the woods. Looks like they would be great if you could have the game driven to you.

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:08 pm

greener wrote:Guns at that weight would be tough to haul through the woods. Looks like they would be great if you could have the game driven to you.
A lot lighter than them 155's you like.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:47 am

Here's my never leave behind revolver. 1978 Colt Python. :D

greener

Post by greener » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:58 am

Almost too pretty to shoot.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:12 am

greener wrote:Almost too pretty to shoot.
Nothing is too pretty to shoot, that is what they were made for. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a low 5000 serial number, manufactured in October 1964, I was shootin it Monday. Good shooter too.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:54 pm

Welcome Baldy, seeing that fine Snake reminds me of one of many poor decisions as regards firearms. At one point I owned a Python Hunter. it came from Colt in a fitted Haliburton case and had a Leupold scope attached. A sweet action for certain. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

Baldy
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Baldy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:06 pm

Thank you gentlemen. The wife bought me that for the first Christmas we were together. It still looks almost new, it has roughly guessing about 30,000rds through it. About 1/3 was full house mags. Now adays it's pulled out when I just want to relax and nothing stronger than +P's are ever run through it. Best revolver I ever shot, and I have shot a bunch.

Image :D

Yleefox
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Post by Yleefox » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:26 pm

It's a beauty. I've always admired the Python, but never owned one.

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:08 pm

I love my Custom 6" Nickle Python. I have owned it since 1977, I have put around 8k rounds through mine with 99% being LSWC behind 12.5gr of 2400. The balance was 125gr HP with WW296.

I'm on Dial-up right now ( and for the next 4 mo) other wise I would up-link a photo...
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:56 pm

bearandoldman wrote:
Nothing is too pretty to shoot, that is what they were made for. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a low 5000 serial number, manufactured in October 1964, I was shootin it Monday. Good shooter too.
That's why I said "Almost".

Blue, dial up? I've been on fast cable for so long I'd be a basket case if I were on dialup.

greener

Post by greener » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 pm

Saw a drilling at the Richmond Gun show this weekend. Nice, lined case; pretty gun; some German name; and a $3500 price tag.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:17 pm

Those drilling's have always intrigued me. The Luftwaffe had The M30 drilling as a survival weapon issued to Luftwaffe pilots during World War II. It was intended to be used in the event that a pilot was shot down, for defense and for hunting game to stay alive until rescue.
The M30 featured two 12 gauge shotgun barrels, and a 9.3x74mmR rifle barrel. Approx 2,456 were manufactured by Sauer. Examples today depending on accessories/condition go for 10K to $20K
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

blue68f100
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by blue68f100 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:18 pm

greener wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:
That's why I said "Almost".

Blue, dial up? I've been on fast cable for so long I'd be a basket case if I were on dialup.
I have Verizon FIOS 25/10 service at home. I have started house setting for my dad during the summer. So I give up high speed for a 24k snail service. I have cut my browsing way down due to the slow speed. Bullseye's site here loads pretty good if I stay away from a lot of photos. My dad lives out in the country (32 ac) so I can shoot all I want. :D He's located in the piney woods of east texas.
David

SS MKIII 6 7/8" Fluted Hunter. Mueller Quick Shot, Bushnell 2x Scope, Hogue Rubber Grips
Custom Built 1911