Howdy, from a new forum member

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DuPont Spinner

Howdy, from a new forum member

Post by DuPont Spinner » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:30 pm

Howdy everyone. My name is Ken and live in the Puget Sound region of Washington. I'm somewhat new to guns & shooting, having been away from the sport for 30 years, or so. I currently have a Ruger Mark III .22 with a red dot scope, a Savage Mark II BV with a Swift 6X18X44 scope, an older Browning 10/71 - .380 in almost mint condition, and a Ruger Blackhawk .357. Other hobbies include fishing for largemouth bass and I'm also a flyer and builder of duel line stunt kites. My son and I also enjoy recreational trap shooting. On a good day, we'll both pick off about 75-80% of the clays. We both belong to the Tacoma Sportsman Club.

Anyway, don't expect to see many posts from me, as I still have a lot to learn and am content to stay in the background. I'm also a member of several other forums on the internet. My forum name of DuPont Spinner is a particular type of fishing lure made my the DuPont Chemical Co. It's about 8 inches long, a fuse on one end, and is a sure fire way to catch your limit, should the normal bite be off.

Bye for now,

Ken
(DuPont Spinner)
Wipe off the blood and get back in the game

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Howdy, from a new forum member

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:13 am

DuPont Spinner wrote:I have a Ruger Mark III .22 with a red dot scope,
a Savage Mark II BV with a Swift 6-18x44 scope,
an older Browning 10/71 - .380 in almost mint condition, and
a Ruger Blackhawk .357.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, we don't permit folks to 'stay in the background'.
we have "Show and tell" often and you're expected to contribute ;)
Check out the 'Stickies' under "The WorkShop" section
and consider getting a "Volquartsen Sear" (~$20) from RimFireSports.com
and it should be a single-best-bang-for-bucks improvement in your Ruger.
Which model MK3 do you have?
What ammo do you most-often shoot with it?
take care...

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:34 am

Welcome to the forum Ken! You do live in a beautiful area of the country. I always liked the Pacific Northwest.

You'll find we have a good group of members hear at Guntalk. They're very inquisitive about firearms and have a lot to offer in the form of advice. I'm sure you will fit right in. As Toy said check out the stickies section in the Workshop forum, there's plenty for you to learn there about your Ruger Mark III.

If you have any questions please don't be shy, there's a lot of combined firearms knowledge here in our membership.

R,
Bullseye

J Miller
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by J Miller » Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:15 am

Ken,

Welcome to the forum.

Look around and I'll bet you find something here to ask questions about.

I did, big time. More information in this forum than you can shake two Ruger MK IIIs at.

Joe

DuPont Spinner

Post by DuPont Spinner » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:27 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome. My Ruger is a Mark III with 5 1/2 inch bull barrell - all blued. The red dot scope simply makes the gun more fun to shoot, as the only reason I bought the gun was for plinking and burning through ammo. Ammo choice: What ever is handy. My Savage Mark II BV has had the action bedded, the barrell floated, and the trigger assembly is shimmed so that the trigger pull is just under 3 lbs. So far, the ammo of choice is Wolf MT. On a good day, I'll get five shot groups of .3 inches. On a bad day, the target looks like its been hit by buckshot. The rifle is pretty good on its own, but I'm also considering a CZ 452/453 Varmint.

The other two pistols don't get much use, but it's always nice just to have around. The .357 was a father day gift and the cylinder strap has been engraved as such.

Anyway, I'll ask questions where info is needed, and provide input where I think I can help. Thanks again.

Ken

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:22 pm

DuPont Spinner wrote:My Savage Mark II BV has had the action bedded, the barrell floated, and the trigger assembly is shimmed so that the trigger pull is just under 3 lbs. So far, the ammo of choice is Wolf MT.
On a good day, I'll get five shot groups of .3 inches.
I'm also considering a CZ 452/453 Varmint.
I think I have the Marlin-version of your 'BV'... the 980v
22" BullBbl, bolt. I've left it stock. Marlin's Micro-Groove (GM?) barrels
seem to live-up-to their price-reputation (you can do better, but not for the $$)
and the comment was made to me that the Savage triggers often need work,
so... I went with the Marlin. Thus far (5+ bricks), it does very well at 50y.
I'm not that good of a shooter, I find it hard to focus on "me"
and I know that is often the more-important factor and weakest link.
Does yours have the AccuTrigger? Does it give you the adj/control you need?

DuPont Spinner

Post by DuPont Spinner » Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:43 pm

My Savage does not have the accu-trigger and when I bought it the trigger had a mile of creep and had a pull of almost 6 pounds! By placing a .026 shim under the back of the tigger assembly and a .023 shim under the front of the assembly, and replacing the spring found in a ball point pen, the creep is gone and the pull has been reduced considerably. However, the trigger still has quite a bit of over-travel. Someday I'd like to replace it with a Rifle Basix trigger or one from Sharp Shooter Supply.

Like you stated, I'm probably the weakest link too. Oh well, practice makes perfect.

Ken