Using a diopter for open site target shooting

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

markIIIronp

Using a diopter for open site target shooting

Post by markIIIronp » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:50 pm

I shot with a guy a few weeks ago who used a diopter device and he shot really well. I think he told me a company named Farr made the device. It is two round pieces of thin cardboard with different size holes. I don't know how many holes on the inner wheel, but it appeared to be about four on the outter wheel. By rotating the wheels you can get a smaller or larger hole to site through. This device is supposed to improve your depth perception, especially for older shooters. Searching the internet, I am able to locate a device made by Lyman ($18) and a high dollar one made by someone else ($70), but I can not find the one made by FARR. Is anyone out there familiar with the one I am describing? Where can it be purchased?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:58 pm

Are you sure it is FARR or could it be Hyskore? Take a look here and see if this isn't the one you described. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=116708

R,
Bullseye

Hakaman
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by Hakaman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 11:01 am

I own this model. It sticks to your glass via suction cup. It is light weight, and it can be positioned virtually anywhere in your desired sight line.
http://www.meritcorporation.com/

Haka

stork
Advanced contributor
Advanced contributor

Iris

Post by stork » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:51 am

The purpose of the adjustable iris is to allow you to adjust your f/stop (like a 35mm camera) to give you a front sight which is sharp and in focus.

I also use the same one Hakaman uses(Merit), while a shooting friend uses the Lyman. The problem with his Lyman is the fixed opening. As your shooting light will vary considerably from shooting outdoors in bright sunlight to shooting indoors with a variety of light intensity the adjustable opening is a must in my opinion. Every time I use mine I adjust the iris to the minimum opening to clarify my front sight. while I've not tried the Hyskore, It would be a better solution than the Lyman fixed opening in my experience.

FWIW
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” – George Washington

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:29 am

I was fairly certain the $70 dollar model the OP mentioned was the Merit attachment so I did not include it in my response. The adjustable iris has its advantages, I even have one on my bolt gun's rear sight to help tuning in the globe front sight.

If the OP wants to test the viability of fixed apertures then poking different sized holes into small tabs of electrical tape is a good low cost alternative. Try sticking them on your shooting glasses to find the optimum size for focusing on the sights.

R,
Bullseye

markIIIronp

Post by markIIIronp » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:40 am

The $70 model was indeed the Merit. The Hyskore looks the most like the Farr model the guy was using. The Farr model only covered the lens on the eye used for aiming, rather than spanning the entire glasses frame. I did not consider this model because my shooting glasses are not flat with wire frames. Thanks for the input

Hardball
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Hardball » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 am

I have the Merit discs in suction cup and one for the rifle sight. The rifle one is great. But the eyeglass one is for me hard to line up each time. Also it was knocked off once by a 45 brass from the guy next to me. For pistol i use the knobloch iris.

Pete D.
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Farr

Post by Pete D. » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:01 am

The device that you had was/is called the FarrSight. It is no longer made. The Merit is more adjustable and can be more conveniently placed on your glasses in relation to your shooting eye.
Another fine diopter device is made by Gehmann and is available for $75 (as is the Merit at $58.00) at Champion's Choice.
http://www.champchoice.com/prod-GEHMANN ... -1088.aspx

http://www.champchoice.com/prod-MERIT_D ... T-785.aspx

Pete

Tigerbeetle
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Tigerbeetle » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:34 pm

The Eyepal [ http://www.myeyepal.com/ ] is on the order of the electrical tape with a hole in the material. It may be called elastomeric or something like that. It will stick on your shooting glasses by static electricity and is easily removed or repositioned as needed to get your proper sight picture. I do use it when shooting iron sights with my rifles or pistols.

The adjustable iris would be more desireable, but it appears to be also more expensive and perhaps a bit more trouble to use. TB
Work is for people who don't hunt, plink or fish. Now that I am retired, I hunt, plink and fish. Life is good.
Tigerbeetle