Preferred Grip and Trigger Finger position?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Preferred Grip and Trigger Finger position?

Post by greener » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:30 pm

The good thing about the internet is you can pick up a lot of good ideas. The bad thing about the internet is you can pick up a lot of good ideas.

Is there a "better" or preferred two-hand grip? Or is it one that suits you? I seem to see a number of variations on hand and thumb placement.

Is there a preferred trigger finger placement? It seems to be divided between finger pad and the first joint.

I'm right handed and right-eye dominant. I've settled in on an isocoles stance. I moved the right hand grip so that the sights tend to lineup with my elbow. With a semiautomatic, my right hand is as high as I can get it. I cover my right hand with my left, left as high as possible under the trigger My left thumb is alligned parallel to the barrel and covered by my right thumb. When my trigger finger is not on the trigger, it is parallel to my left thumb. (best I can describe without a picture)

I place the pad of the trigger finger on the trigger, I recently moved it from the first joint.

I generally shoot at 15 (NRA B-2 and B-4 targets) and 25 yards (NRA B-6) targets. I do ok and sometimes a lot better than shooters using 7-10 yeard targets, but I'm looking to do better than "Ok."

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:34 pm

There are many shooting styles and some are better than others based on the type of shooting the person is engaged in. Obviously a one-handed grip is going to be less effective in a action style competition than a two handed grip. In this example, a two-handed grip will do far better controlling recoil, a necessity for top performance, in action style competition.

The best shooting style answer lies within the individual shooter. Everyone is physically different than everyone else, so what style position works for one may not be as effective for another. Ultimately "what suits you" is the best solution.

Your style grip has the right thumb over the left, similar to the one pictured below.

But equally as effective for some, is the grip shown below with the left thumb over the right. It all comes down to personal preference and physical characteristics.

As far as trigger finger placement, which ever style gives the shooter a straight path rearward. (as shown with the red arrow)

The shooter's hand placement while gripping the gun will necessitate which style of finger placement will give the most direct path rearwards. Some shooter's with small hands and short finger length may have to use the finger pad style where others with larger hands may find the joint menthod more beneficial. Either way, the shooter's physical characteristics mainly determine the best method for higher performance.

Hope this helps.

R,
Bullseye