Dry Firing

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

DancesWithSquirrels
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Dry Firing

Post by DancesWithSquirrels » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:10 pm

I posted this over on the other site but I think the thread was pretty much dead when I posted it. I'm sure this is old news to some folks but someone may find it useful.

There is something we used to do many moons ago when I was in the Air Force that is a lot cheaper than those expensive systems for .45 practice. It is called a pencil. Make a simulated target with an index card. Now get out your 1911, or other pencil calibered pistol 8) , for some dry firing. First get a brand new pencil with a new eraser. Sharpen that pencil to a fine point and insert it into the barrel of the gun all the way. You want the tip of that pencil to just barely stick out the end of the barrel. Now stand so that the gun is only about a quarter to a half inch from the target without the pencil making contact. Now shoot a ten shot group, reseating the pencil after every shot. You'll be able to see how well you are grouping by looking at the dots made by the pencil. Strive for a single dot but don't expect to get there.

DWS

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:20 pm

I used to use the same type of low-tech practice technique when I first started shooting. It works really well for strengthening the arm muscles and establishing a solid follow-through.

It also helps to add an aiming point onto the index card for visual reference. I put a small dot - approximate diameter of the dot is the same width as the front sight blade.

R,
Bullseye

toyfj40
Master contributor
Master contributor

Re: Dry Firing

Post by toyfj40 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:39 pm

DancesWithSquirrels wrote: Make a simulated target with an index card. First get a brand new pencil with a new eraser. Now shoot a ten shot group.
Back when I was in HiSkool, the 'Pencil Test' meant something else
entirely... but that another forum.
I attended "Camp Perry" back in early July. the 'basic Pistol School'.
The "Pencil Practice" was mentioned...
Another was to independently practice
HORIZONTAL-hold
10-sec HOLD on Horizontal-sight-alignment,
then 50-60 sec relax. repeat 10 times.
THEN
VERTICAL-hold
10-sec HOLD on Vertical-sight-alignment,
then 50-60 sec relax. repeat 10 times.

in an effort to seperate the muscle-feedback for H vs V,
the H+V will come with practice.

another 'coach' suggested (maybe this is more with a Rifle)
to balance a penny on the end of the barrel, near the
front-sight. Then Dry-Fire.
*IF* you are 'jerking' the trigger, the penny will fall off.
*IF* you are smoothly pulling the trigger, it will stay.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:43 pm

The "penny" test works well for pistol too.

R,
Bullseye

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Dry Firing

Post by allendavis » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:30 pm

I did thousands of rounds of "dry firing" just at the network news anchors for years. It taught me a ton about trigger and breath control.

At the same time, I lived in a very old Victorian house that actually had 10-foot ceilings, which I dropped to 8-feet with accoustic tiles. I finally would take a virgin No. 2 pencil, with a sharp point, and simply just pull the trigger to see how strong my firing pin/spring were.

Thankfully, I had several spare ceiling tiles on hand to replace the ones I'd shoot up after watching Dan Rather.

I still shoot pencils out of my Chip McCormick 1911 and my old Hi-Power, but I shoot them horozontally now, and my Hi-Power actually penetrates better (but it does have custom C&S springs; my 1911 is still Chip McCormick-"stock."

I have another statement and several questions about dry firing I will post in my next message.

Allen

allendavis
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Dry Firing

Post by allendavis » Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:47 pm

I gave my nephew a Henry Arms .22 LR lever action rifle for Christmas 2 years ago. He was 14 years old at the time, and already owned 2-3 other guns at the time.

About the only time this kid gets to go the range is with me.

Anyway, his gun quit working with Federal's standard "high velocity hollow-points" you buy at Wal-Mart for $8.96/brick. The empty cases would simply FREEZE up in the chamber.

MY FINDINGS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

(I can't get Henry Firearms to respond)

1. No Henry .22 should be dry-fired. The breech-face is too soft an alloy.

2. The firing pin is way, way too hard. It peens and dents the breech face (why do they need to make their firing pin that hard???)

3. Federal casings are a tad bit thinner than most other .22 LR casings, making them easier to stick in the chamber if the breech is peened by an over-hard firing pin and creating a burr.

Mind anyone reading this, the Henry lever action rifle doesn't suffer ANY reliability problems with ANY other ammo than the Federal brick stuff. Even after long dry-firing.

I usually encourage dry-firing, even with .22 guns. Things aren't what they were 50 years ago.

I'm just questioning Henry Firearms. They don't want to answer any of my e-mails; and they definitely aren't living up to their warranties.

WHAT I DID:

I "dremeled" out the firing pin indent in the breech face, and even recessed it a bit. I also "ironed out" the chamber, but I don't want to repeat that. I finished up by making certain the chamber itself is as clean and "diamond polished" as I can make it, using rouge as a polishing compound.

My Thinking:

Dry-firing is fine with almost all firearms, including .22 rimfire guns, although there are certain exceptions. I suppose the new Henry guns are among them.

Just my two cents' worth.

Allen