How old is this?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

greener

Post by greener » Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:13 pm

Sounds like it is tighter in GA than it is (or was) in Richmond. Primer supplies at my usual places have been hit or miss for small and large pistol. Cast lead bullets are in fair supply depending on the day. I haven't seen any real powder shortage. I've enough .38 special, 9mm and .45 ACP cases to last quite a while, if the other components are available. My intent was to build up to 500-600 .45 colt and .357 magnum cases over time. Looks like it will be longer than I thought. It also looks like I will be buying primers and bullets sooner than planned, if available, just in case.

I suppose part of the reloading shortage due to the huge demand for 9mm, .40, .38 and .45, along with the rifle rounds. Raw materials are going to a more profitable commercial ammo. I was surprised with the backorder of presses and dies at Midway. I've been thinking about something in .44 mag but would only consider it if I can reload. Looks like those thoughts are getting further back on the priority list.

wleoff

Post by wleoff » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:33 pm

I use to shoot at a range where the local SWAT teams also practiced. They shot Federal Gold Match .308. They would give us the fired cases, because they couldn't legally use reloads. They shot up a lot of rounds during a practice.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:15 am

Most military shooters will do the same at high power rifle matches. They'll give up their used brass to fellow civilian shooters if you ask. They're more than willing to let you have it because they know how hard it is for civilians to get fresh once-fired brass. Otherwise all it does is get turned in to DRMO as bulk scrap metal.

R,
Bullseye