Aquila and my 22/45

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Mike W1

Aquila and my 22/45

Post by Mike W1 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:24 pm

Hadn't been on here in quite some time so hopefully I'm not in the wrong category in Misc.

My normal plinking ammo is Federal or Remington bulk packs but bought some of this on sale. Normal loading is with bolt open and pulling back like Ruger says and release the bolt. ONLY the Aquila usually (75% of the time) doesn't chamber and the bolt will be stuck. Drop the magazine and the bullet will be deformed. This NEVER happens with the other ammo.

It's any of the 4 magazines that do it not a particular one. If it does happen to chamber the 1st round the whole magazine works fine.

Cleaned the gun thoroughly and also the magazines Problem not there evidently.

Tried only loading 9 rounds to a magazine. That changed nothing either

I don't have the tools or the expertise to measure them all, but all 3 brands look the same to the naked eye.

Not a big deal as I can use this stuff in a revolver or my 10/22 and most likely one or both of them will get rid of the other 1500 rounds.

Not a scientific approach I used but wonder if anyone had any guesses on the matter. Or suggestions.

Thanks.
Mike
Mike

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Re: Aquila and my 22/45

Post by Bullseye » Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:26 am

I have had feeding issues with Aguila Super Extra 40 gr. ammo in the past in my .22 autos. So much so, that I only used it in bolt rifles like my smallbore Anschutz rifles. It shoots consistently just has difficulty feeding into match and standard sized chambers of semi-auto pistols. I found by hand feeding rounds into my chambers that the diameter of these bullets were slightly larger than many of the other brands. Some folks have had issues with the lubricant/preservative that the company was using on the bullets and said the stickiness of the lube was causing feeding problems. Their solution was to vigorously clean each individual cartridge to remove the lube and that solved their problems. I myself had the same issues with feeding of Eley 10X in my match M-41's. I too just wiped off the waxy lube and that helped, but I typically did this for a fairly small batch of bullets (for a match). I also found adding a small drop of RemOil onto the case of the top round loaded in each 5 shot magazine, would improve feeding and prevent match alibi's for my M-41's from feeding and case extraction problems. This small drop of oil method also has also worked when plinking with Rugers and they start to get chamber fouled from the extraction of .22 ammo and time between deep chamber cleanings. Drop checking (hand feeding) is a good way to see if a particular brand of ammo will function reliably in your pistols. I make sure that what I'm using is up to the task for a match. Nothing more frustrating than having misfires or failure to extract due to ammo production variation/tolerances. That cartridge case must completely seat against the chamber face in order to reliably detonate the cartridge when the firing pin strikes. So my best advice is to check and see how well that ammo fits by drop checking, removing the bolt (or slide) and see if the cartridges will manually drop in and slide out of the chamber. If they don't, find something that they will work in and only use that ammo in that particular firearm.

Hope this helps,
Bullseye

Mike W1

Re: Aquila and my 22/45

Post by Mike W1 » Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:32 pm

I'll try your suggestions and thank you for them. In the meantime have found that manually tipping the tip of the bullet up and they feed OK. I'll try uploading a couple pix but I'm neither a photographer (or gifted gunsmith). Didn't figure out that process either!
Mike