Boy, 8, Shoots Self With Uzi at Gun Show

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

jaeger45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by jaeger45 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:46 pm

WESTFIELD, Mass. — An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

The boy lost control of the weapon while firing it Sunday at the Machine Gun Shoot and Firearms Expo at the Westfield Sportsman's Club, Police Lt. Lawrence Valliere said.

The boy was with a certified instructor and "was shooting the weapon down range when the force of the weapon made it travel up and back toward his head, where he suffered the injury," a police statement said. Police called it a "self-inflicted accidental shooting."

The victim was taken to Baystate Medical Center where he died. His name was not released.

Although the death appears to be an accident, police and the Hampden district attorney's office were investigating, officials said.

The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People will be allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said.

Officials with the private club and the firearms group could not be reached for comment. A message left on a club answering machine was not returned. The C.O.P. group's machine clicked off without taking a message.

The sportsman's club was founded in 1949 and describes itself on its Web site as an organization that promotes "the interest of legal sport with rod, gun, and bow and arrow, both directly and through training."

It has eight firing ranges as well as archery and fishing facilities located on 375 acres in Westfield, about 100 miles west of Boston.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,444180,00.html
A bad shot is often caused by a loose nut behind the buttplate

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:27 pm

saw someplace on the web that the father of the boy is a Doctor an the head of the ER at that hospital. If you ask me 8 years old is too young t understand the results of using a firearm.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:54 pm

Terrible tragedy but letting an eight year old shoot a SMG is not a good idea. Muzzle flip with the short barreled SMGs is more pronounced than one might think.

R,
Bullseye

PISTOLERO

Common sense? The least common of our senses.

Post by PISTOLERO » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:39 pm

What kind of irresponsible imbecile is going to let a 8 year old child fire a machine gun.Certified??? Certified in what ? STUPIDITY. SOME one should be held accountable. As a father of a five year old girl ;my heart goes out to the parents.
I would not let some adults( term used loosely) handle a .22 much less an UZI.. Stupid is as stupid does. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"When I change the way that I look at things.
The things that I look at, change." D.Dywer

ddd482

Post by ddd482 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 am

a bad thing-

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I heard about another range where you can shoot machine guns, but they wisely attach a chain from the barrel to the floor so that can't happen. Of course I feel for the family of that boy, but I almost feel sorry for the guy who's responsible for his death. He'll be haunted the rest of his life.

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:42 pm

This is sad, but very old news boys.
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 am

KAZ wrote:This is sad, but very old news boys.
Like 9 months old, and yes it was sad but life is not all happy all the time either. The Lord works in strange ways.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

OK, it's old news. But some of us hadn't had a chance to comment on it and, being a life-and-death safety issue, it's still worthy of discussion, no?

KAZ
Master contributor
Master contributor

Post by KAZ » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:15 pm

You are correct that we should never miss an opportunity to show everyone just how dangerous gun firing and Gun Shows can be. After all, the headline said that a boy had shot himself with a UZI at a Gun Show. Regards
Member Marine Corps League
Life Member National Rifle Association
Life Member Texas State Rifle Association