Are a Gun's Screws Different?

This is a place to discuss shooting related topics and techniques.

Moderators: Bullseye, Moderators

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Are a Gun's Screws Different?

Post by Dwight45 » Mon May 11, 2009 3:59 pm

The screws on my MkIII's grips and sights seem to be unusual. If I try to use a screwdriver whos width matches the length of the screw-slot, the blade is too thick to fit into the slot. And a screwdriver with a blade thin enough to fit in the slot is too narrow. Do guns have screws with especially thin slots? Your suggestions of screwdrivers would be appreciated as well.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon May 11, 2009 4:37 pm

Dwight,

Gun screws are different. You need to invest in a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers made especially for working on guns. It makes a world of difference.

Smokey

bearandoldman
Ye Loquacious Olde Pharte

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 11, 2009 5:42 pm

smokey wrote:Dwight,

Gun screws are different. You need to invest in a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers made especially for working on guns. It makes a world of difference.

Smokey
Right you are Smokey, got a couple of drawers full of mechanic screwdrivers in my old Kennedy box and they are pretty much useless for guns. As and old machinist and service tech, :D you got to have the right tools to do the job. :D
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Mon May 11, 2009 7:06 pm

Thanks for the answer guys. I'll buy 'em.

smokey
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by smokey » Mon May 11, 2009 7:34 pm

bearandoldman wrote:

Smokey
Right you are Smokey, got a couple of drawers full of mechanic screwdrivers in my old Kennedy box and they are pretty much useless for guns. As and old machinist and service tech, :D you got to have the right tools to do the job. :D
We learn best from experience B & OM. I was an automotive mechanic for 15 years and then was a machinist for a number of years. Most of those tools are worthless on guns. Some of the knowledge is still useful however.

bearandoldman

Post by bearandoldman » Mon May 11, 2009 7:39 pm

smokey wrote:
bearandoldman wrote:

Smokey
We learn best from experience B & OM. I was an automotive mechanic for 15 years and then was a machinist for a number of years. Most of those tools are worthless on guns. Some of the knowledge is still useful however.
The knowledge can be adapted to most any field easily, the tools can be also but with great difficulty, better to buy the proper ones to start.
You have great day and shoot straight and may the Good Lord smile on you.

dapster

Post by dapster » Fri May 29, 2009 12:02 pm

"You need to invest in a good set of hollow ground screwdrivers made especially for working on guns."

Any recommendations for the novice "gunsmith"? It seems a number of sets at varying prices are available through the major online firearms related suppliers.

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Sat May 30, 2009 10:30 pm

Dapster, I'm the greenhorn that posted the question, but I may be able to help. Midway sells a screwdriver set made by Chapman that has got good reviews. Some customers complained of the tips breaking, but I'd bet that could happen to any screwdrivers made for guns if you pushed them too hard because they're made to fit those skinny slots. Anyway, they're inexpensive, and I've bought a set.

dapster

Post by dapster » Sat May 30, 2009 10:41 pm

Dwight45 wrote:Dapster, I'm the greenhorn that posted the question, but I may be able to help. Midway sells a screwdriver set made by Chapman that has got good reviews. Some customers complained of the tips breaking, but I'd bet that could happen to any screwdrivers made for guns if you pushed them too hard because they're made to fit those skinny slots. Anyway, they're inexpensive, and I've bought a set.
Your reply is appreciated. Have you made use yet of any of your new Chapman screwdrivers so as to discern their fitness and general utility for the intended purpose?

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Dapster, they're supposed to arrive Monday. I'll let you know how they fit and perform.

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Sun May 31, 2009 9:43 am

Gun screws are cut with slots that have squared edges. Normal screwdrivers are tapered and can damage gun screws by putting excessive pressure on the top edges of the gun's screws. The hollow ground gunsmith screws are cut so that the tips have parallel edges where the screwdriver bit meets the screw slot. This places more surface area of the bit in contact with the screw slot and resists damaging the screw. Proper usage is also important to prevent damage or to keep the bit from shattering. You can buy a set of Chapman bits or a set of Wheeler Engineering bit kits. It all depends on how much you intend to use them and how much your willing to spend. Choose the right bit for the job and you'll be happy with the results.

R,
Bullseye

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:53 pm

Bullseye, it sounds like Chapman and Wheeler are both brands made specifically for guns, but that Wheeler uses a stronger steel alloy. Am I correct?

Bullseye
Site Admin/Host
Site Admin/Host

Post by Bullseye » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:10 pm

Dwight45 wrote:Bullseye, it sounds like Chapman and Wheeler are both brands made specifically for guns, but that Wheeler uses a stronger steel alloy. Am I correct?
Alloy, heat treatment, or a combination of both. I've never broken a Wheeler bit.

R,
Bullseye

Dwight45
Regular contributor
Regular contributor

Post by Dwight45 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:16 am

Well being such a lightweight gunsmith, I'm really happy with this Chapman set. It appears to be made well; it's sure designed well. It comes with a regular grip-handle, a small ratchet driver, an extender, and 24 bits--blade, phillips, and hex--all in a strong plastic box small enough to carry in my rangebag.

What impresses me the most is how they give you two or three bladed bits of each width but of varying thickness, so that they fit the screw-slots snugly and don't slip out. The bits are even round and knurled on one end so you can drive them with your fingers for delicate work. I tried them on for size, and there's one that fits every screw on my guns that I'd want to drive except that pesky little windage screw on my rear sight. But I have another driver for that one.

I give the set my Good Housekeeping seal of approval. And all for $25. 8)